Analog Photonics has developed proprietary and patented integrated photonics technology within a 300mm wafer platform. Optimized optical components enable low insertion loss with the capability to handle high optical powers. Wavelengths from the visible to the near-infrared are supported for a number of applications. Furthermore, integration with driving CMOS ASICs and lasers enables complex systems within a chip-scale form factor.
- 300mm Wafers
- Low cost and high volume
- Low insertion loss
- High optical power handling
- Visible to near-infrared
- Chip-scale form factor
- CMOS Driver ASICs
- Laser integration
Solid State Phased Array LiDAR Powered by Silicon Photonics
Optical Phased Array LiDAR
Phased arrays utilize arrayed antenna elements to create a beam of waves that can be electronically steered to point in different directions. This concept can be used for any wavelength in the electromagnetic spectrum including microwave (i.e. for RADAR) or optical (i.e. for LiDAR). Analog Photonics has developed efficient optical phased arrays utilizing low-loss waveguides, phase shifters, and antennas integrated with on-chip germanium photodetectors and CMOS electronics. This non-mechanical and solid-state beam steering technique is scalable to multiple centimeter-scale apertures and works for both emitting and receiving operation.
Talk by Michael Watts, CEO and Founder of Analog Photonics at AutoSens conference in Brussels
Coherent LiDAR using Solid-State transmitting and receiving Optical Phased Arrays developed in Silicon Photonics at an Eye Safe 1550nm wavelength
Power Efficient Silicon Photonics Transforming Data Connectivity
Optical Data Communication
The data is generated and decoded by the electrical RF integrated circuits of routers, servers and switches. An optical transceiver retimes the incoming electrical data and perform conversion of the electrical binary coded data into the optical signals within its optical engine. An optical engine is composed of an array of lasers, drivers, optical modulators, detectors, transimpedance amplifiers, multiplexer and demultiplexer filters and fiber couplers. Analog Photonics developed an optical engine that offers best performance by integrating all optical components into a single silicon photonics chip and co-packaging with the electronics for high signal integrity. This combination offers the highest bandwidth density and energy efficiency compared to standard optical modules
- K. Jabon, C. V. Poulton, R.J. Shiue, M. J. Byrd, Z. Su, M. Teimourpour, S. Breitenstein, R. Millman, D. Atlas, M. R. Watts, and E. Timurdogan,”Edge-Coupled Active and Passive Wafer-Scale Measurements on 300mm Silicon Photonics Wafers,” in OFC 2021, M3A.1.
- C. V. Poulton, M. J. Byrd, B. Moss, E. Timurdogan, R. Millman, and M. R. Watts, “8192-Element Optical Phased Array with 100o Steering Range and Flip-Chip CMOS”, in CLEO 2020, JTh4A.3.
- E. Timurdogan, Z. Su, R.-J. Shiue, M. J. Byrd, C. V. Poulton, K. Jabon, C. DeRose, B. R. Moss, E. S. Hosseini, I. Duzevik, et al., “400g silicon photonics integrated circuit transceiver chipsets for cpo, obo, and pluggable modules,” in OFC 2020, T3H–2.
- C. V. Poulton, P. Russo, B. Moss, M. Khandaker, M. J. Byrd, T. Tran, E. Timurdogan, D. Vermeulen, and M. R. Watts, “Small-form-factor optical phased array module for technology adoption in custom applications”, in CLEO 2019, JTh5B.6.
- E. Timurdogan, Z. Su, R.-J. Shiue, C. V. Poulton, M. J. Byrd, S. Xin, and M. R. Watts, “Apsuny process design kit (pdkv3. 0): O, c and l band silicon photonics component libraries on 300mm wafers,” in OFC 2019, Tu2A.1.
- P. Yin, J. R. Serafini, Z. Su, R.-J. Shiue, E. Timurdogan, M. L. Fanto, and S. Preble, “Low connector-to-connector loss through silicon photonic chips using ultra-low loss splicing of smf-28 to high numerical aperture fibers,” Optics express, vol. 27, no. 17, pp. 24188–24193, 2019.
- N. M. Fahrenkopf, C. McDonough, G. L. Leake, Z. Su, E. Timurdogan, and D. D. Coolbaugh, “The aim photonics mpw: A highly accessible cutting edge technology for rapid prototyping of photonic integrated circuits,” JSTQE, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 1–6, 2019.
- C. V. Poulton, M. J. Byrd, P. Russo, E. Timurdogan, M. Khandaker, D. Vermeulen, and M. R. Watts, “Long-range LiDAR and free-space data communication with high-performance optical phased arrays”, JSTQE vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 1-8, 2019.
- E. Timurdogan, Z. Su, C. V. Poulton, M. J. Byrd, S. Xin, R.-J. Shiue, B. R. Moss, E. S. Hosseini, and M. R. Watts, “Aim process design kit (aimpdkv2.0): Silicon photonics passive and active component libraries on a 300mm wafer,” in OFC 2018, M3F.1.
- C. V. Poulton, P. Russo, E. Timurdogan, M. Whitson, M. J. Byrd, E. Hosseini, B. Moss, Z. Su, D. Vermeulen, and M. R. Watts, “High-performance integrated optical phased arrays for chip-scale beam steering and lidar”, in CLEO 2018, ATu3R.2.